Thursday, February 7, 2008

Vibrator, vibrator: Who's found the vibrator!!!


**I had a much better picture. Smiling little girl holding a stuffed animal. It has been deemed too potentially disturbing****


Q: Dear Elizabeth...I LOVE my new vibrator! One problem though. I was downstairs cooking when my 6 year old daughter ran downstairs with it in her hand! She asked what it was, if she could play with it (it is pink and blue and lights up), and what this new toy was doing in my bedroom. HELP!



A: Alright, i give. After several hours sutudying here, I NOW understand that sex IS a huge component of relationships. SO, send your relationship question. I will no longer run away.

Now to the question...

Dear Breeder,

Congratulation! You have a very precocious and articulate child. As a breeder myself, I think that's a really good sign for later in life. Now, your particular breedling is also a girl, so what you do now is really important. So, let me put on my newly minted sexology hat and get to it!

It is VERY important that when children, no matter what age or situation, don't get negative messages about sex. Sexual development and curiosity occurs at ALL ages, just in ways that we are not used to looking at it as sexual. So, sex development in the average American teen may be more obvious, but many people can also remember stages of development very early on. A LOT of times, it's situations like this tht can stick with kids.

When your daughter asks about your vibrator, it's really important to know your kid. How much she can handle will depend on her unique ability to handle thing. Now, even the most savvy 6 year old won't be able to process all the levels of a vibrator, so my advice is to keep it simple. there's not reason to give her too much information and then watch her brain explode.

Something like this would be totally appropriate:

6 year old: "Mom, what's this?" *holds up vibrator*
Mom: "That's a vibrator."
6YO: "What is it?"
M: "I use it to make myself feel good."
6YO: "Like when you have a boo-boo?"
M: "Yes. when grown ups want to relax, they do all sorts of things. We eat broccoli, watch the news, drink wine or coffee, or sometimes use a vibrator. And someday, when you're grown up, you will have those options too!"
6YO: "I hate broccoli."

Children take their cues from how the parents react. If you're nervous and ashamed, they will think it's something bad. It you are mellow, they won't make a big deal about it either. and if you group it in with other things that they hate, they may not bring it up again. Oh, and be careful about how you look too when you are "outed". they will pick up facial cues too.

I hope this helps!!